Monday, September 10, 2012

More contractions

It is Sunday evening and I wanted to update everyone. I had some contractions a few nights ago, but things settled rather quickly. On Friday, I didn't feel the best, so I took it extra easy (if that is possible on bedrest)! Yesterday, I felt good. Showered, watched Purdue football, and even got to get in a wheelchair and go outside for a few minutes.
I don't know if all that "activity" contributed to it or not, but by last night, I was showing consistent contractions 1-2 minutes apart. I didn't really feel them, so they weren't o early concerned, but wanted to get them stopped before they progressed any further. Thank God that I was already at the hospital, and they were monitoring me, or I probably wouldn't have realized I was having actual contractions until it was too late. They gave me a shot of brethine, and then started me on a pill to help more long term (I have the name written down, but alas, I am stuck in bed and it is out of my reach). I was to take them every 8 hours, so had a dose this morning and then again at 2pm. That was when I started feeling some pretty big contractions start up. They were again every 30 seconds to a minute apart, but obviously stronger than last night. They gave me a shot of brethine again, which maybe worked for 5 minutes. So, they decided to be more aggressive and gave me another shot, an iv bolus, and began magnesium sulfate. This medicine requires me to stay in bed, be monitored constantly, and I can't eat. It also gives people wicked hot flashes! But, it is a small price to pay to keep baby boy in utero a little longer. Once again, he has been a champ and acts like nothing is going on. :). Praise God. I have been on the mag for a couple hours and it seems to be doing its job. I have a contraction about every 10 min or so, and they aren't as strong as earlier. I will be on it at least 24 hours. My regular doctor was out of town this weekend, and made me promise not to let anyone c-section me if not absolutely necessary. :). I pray baby boy holds out not only for her, but also for that 28 week goal, which is only 4 days away!!
I promise to try to keep you updated. Thanks again for all the prayers.
PS Update on kids and Andy- the kids were all sick earlier this week, but are doing better. Poor Jordan still has a raspy little voice. Andy and his parents took them to the Science Museum today! Andy and his Dad got our back fence fixed, which has been on our "to do" list for quite awhile. Andy also is working some, but is able to adjust his hours to help with his new childcare responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment