Sunday, September 16, 2012

40th Wedding Anniversary

You would think that with all this time on my hands, I would pay more attention to dates.  I knew that my parents' anniversary was coming up (today), but didn't give the year another thought until today.  After doing some calculating, I realized that today was their 40th wedding anniversary!  Andy and I celebrated 12 years earlier this month, which I thought was a big deal, but 40?!  I hate that I didn't do the math earlier, and have some spectacular surprise for them today.  They do deserve it!  So, instead, I am sharing their celebration with all of you, and asking you to pause and say a special prayer for them after reading this. 

I will not pretend to know it all when it comes to love, marriage, and well, life in general; but, I do think that I had some great role models.  Some of my favorite memories growing up are times when Mom and Dad would express their love to one another in front of us girls.  Usually, it was as simple as Dad grabbing Mom's hand (or vice versa) when a coutnry love song (usually Alabama) came on the radio, and they would dance around the room together, with us girls laughing and eventually, cutting in to join the fun.  I also remember the "last minute" shopping trips at holidays with Dad, where he would get Mom a completely unexpected gift, like new living room furniture, or a new piece of jewelry.  More subtle signs of their love include Mom's patience with Dad over his passion for pigs.  I don't know how many times we would come home from a sale with a new pig, when Dad was "just going to look."  And, I have to mention the thousands of times that this "city girl" rolled up her sleeves and helped with the farmwork, even though it probably wasn't top on her list of fun things to do. 

Most of all, I just love how they have always put family first.  It is so easy to get caught up in the "rat race", that many people forget the small details that make everyday living so great.  Small signs of our love for one another...a kiss hello or goodbye, a special note in a lunchbox or backpack, a text or phone call just to check in or say "I love you".  The way in which we show our loved ones we care is so important because it is supposed to be an example of God's love for us.  I am so thankful for the love Mom and Dad have for one another, and for the ways in which they have shared that love with us over the years.  Thanks Mom and Dad, and here's to 40 more...

No comments:

Post a Comment