Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Discharge Preparations...

For those who haven't heard, we found out on Monday that Luke should come home on or before Friday of this week!!  On Thursday, he will be 6 weeks old.  Jordan and Drew were born at 30 weeks gestation also and came home at 7 weeks of age, and weighed 5 lbs.  Luke was 4 lbs, 4 oz as of yesterday.  They are probably weighing him as I type, so I bet he is up an ounce or two. 

Last week, I talked with the doctor about Andy leaving for training the week after Thanksgiving.  I truly want what is best for Luke, but prayed that we had some overlap time when Luke was home and so was Andy!  They increased his bottle feedings per day, and it's like a ligh bulb clicked after a couple of days.  He started taking his required amount of 36 ml, plus whatever extra the nurses had put in (usually 40 ml total)!!  He took every bottle offered, so one of the nurses we have had before told me on Sunday night that she was going to offer the bottle if he was awake at his 12:30am feeding, which was supposed to be tube fed.  He was awake; she offered; and he downed it!!  Since then, he has taken every feeding from a bottle.  I was sick on Monday, and I had to stay home.  It's the first day that I haven't seen Luke, and it about broke my heart.  I am so grateful to be living in the same place as his hospital, and for all the amazing friends who keep my children for extended and repeated playdates so that I can have that time with Luke each day.  I called often to check-in, and each time, the news got better and better.  "He's getting his immunizations today, and will be circumcised today or tomorrow, bring your carseat tomorrow so we can do his carseat test, sign up for the parent discharge class on Wednesday (not Friday).  He is doing so well, he could go home before then!!!"  Talk about making me feel better!!  I managed to rest in the morning, but kicked that virus to the curb and started preparing the house even more for his homecoming.  There were some things that I just wanted to wait on so that it didn't seem like he was there for so long... 

Today, I spent all day up there with Luke (major thanks to my friend, Hilary)!!  He got circumcised, and wasn't a fan, as you can imagine, so I stayed and rocked him most of the afternoon.  He has had a couple of bradycardia episodes the past 2 days, so they are doing some labwork tonight, and now, if he does come home this week, he will most likely be on monitors.  He hadn't had any episodes in weeks, so they want to make sure his bloodwork all looks good.  He is still little, and young, and we are absolutely okay with waiting to bring him home when HE is ready.  They talked today that it was going to be tomorrow after class until he started having these episodes, so I am thankful that they are checking into them and being cautious.  I still anticipate that he will come home on Friday, but we just have to wait and see.  God calls us often to do that...wait and see.  So, we will, and we will do so patiently.  We are so, so thankful to God for answering the thousands of prayers said on his behalf these past few months.  We praise Him always, in these times of joy, and in our times of sorrow.  Andy and I just can't wait to bring Luke home and stare at the miraculous gift God has once again given us.  We did it with all of our other children, and I know we will do it again.  Just hold him and stare, and praise God.  Newborns are so much more fun to watch than any t.v. show!!  Okay, I digress.  I will do my best to keep everyone posted, and post some great photos soon.  You know I take some everyday! :)  Happy Election Day...and, no, I didn't vote.  I didn't feel like I knew enough facts about each candidate.  My husband did though, so good job Andy!

No comments:

Post a Comment